AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

took some early snaplage (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

stripfarmer
Posted 8/29/2016 23:56 (#5498461 - in reply to #5497630)
Subject: RE: took some early snaplage (pics)

west central wisconsin

Hi Calvin

This is our only source of corn......We sample for moisture on a daily basis.... for all of our forages.  There is actually not a lot of variation in our snaplage.... this particular variety had more husks than some.. but it does not add up to be much weight....  not much at all .  If this were blown into an upright silo.... then there would be separation.... but we bag everything, and that actually breaks down the particle size even further, and it is quite uniform.  We are not anal about pulling feed samples, but when we do, it is wet chem.... so we get a very accurate test rather than a computed estimate..... Cows milk extremely well on this product.

The longer this is stored, the more digestible it becomes, and we always add an inoculant besides.  

We use a telehandler to feed with, and bring the bucket edge down vertically to shear the face, and the feed surface will remain sheared vertically...... very very little air is admitted into the feed surface.  It packs extremely tight.  
If you are interested, email me, and I could send you a recent feed sample test.  If you have a harvester, or a custom operator nearby.... I would highly encourage you to try some.  Everyone recommends erring on the wet side rather than letting it get too dry.  Basically, the day we get done with corn silage, normally, we put the adapter on and hit snaplage..... The day corn reaches black layer is the day you want to be harvesting.  The drier it becomes, the more trash there will be and the less digestible the cob becomes 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)