AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chevy 2500 auto trans problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 8/5/2016 08:50 (#5451968)
Subject: Chevy 2500 auto trans problems

Aggieland
Hey all I'm trying to help my little brother out and I'm out of my experience level. Let me give you a little info on what happened and the end result.

Truck is a 1993 Chevy 2500 gas, 5.7, automatic 2wd. 119,000 original miles

Sister in law was in the left turn lane and the light went green so she went. Mid turn the truck died and she then proceeded to coast into the gas station that would now be on her tight. She said after the engine had died and the steering was tough she heard a loud "thunk".
I went to go get her while my brother was at work and diagnosed it as low fuel pressure. Ran to oriellys and grabbed a new fuel filter and put it on in the parking lot just to see. Did not help the problem so I condemned the fuel pump.
Tow truck hauled it out to my cotton gin where I've got a forklift and tools and we lifted the bed and replaced the pump. Truck fired right up and sounds good.
Now the problem is in the tranny. It tops out at 50mph and 4000rpm. Won't shift. It has reverse. I feel as though it's stuck in 3rd because if I start in overdrive and go its sluggish to accelerate and when manually downshift as I drive when I get to second it will downshift to 2 but not 1, and it will not up shift. I tried manually running the gears from 1-OD and it will not shift manually. The only actually shifting I get is if I start in D and downshift to 2. Brother is tight on cash and this is his only ride. I don't know if the torque converter could be the issue or if the tranny is toast.
I've checked all the cannon plugs, vacuum lines, shift linkages and fluids. All seem good. The loud thunk that she heard is what worries me.
Any and all info would be appreciated.

Caleb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)