AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a 4020 w/rollover plow that I looked at buying today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GenX
Posted 7/28/2016 20:52 (#5437885)
Subject: a 4020 w/rollover plow that I looked at buying today

Southwestern Indiana
Been thinking about buying a 4020 for a while now. However, if I wanted to spend $20-25k I would buy a 4040 (I'm only wanting to spend half that and I'm thinking it would be handy to have that size of tractor without a cab)

Anyway, heard older, local, longtime retired farmer was wanting to sell his 4020 for $10,000. I didn't know much about it and went and looked at it today. It was parked in the back corner of his tool shed with battery chargers on it and other vehicles/objects parked around it - which didn't allow for test-driving it today. It was hooked to a John Deere 4 bottom rollover plow with hydraulic flip. The plow goes with the tractor; won't seperate. I don't know the value of the plow and would only be interested in selling it (although it is kind of cool)

It's a '66 model, syncro, with one remote (I would like two) Started right up; sounded good. There would have been no leaks except for the valve cover gasket which he was having a neighbor JD mechanic bring one out to replace. Hyd pump dry/clean; coolant clean; injectors dry/clean; minimal leaking around couplers at remote. Steering back and forth was tight, no welds, older re-paint which looked really good. Tach showed 2800 hours, said it had been replaced at 2000 + hours. Good Alliance 18.4-34's, no rear weights; 7 front slab. Shifter felt loose.
The biggie was that the crankcase is cracked on the left side in front of starter where a rod went through... Engine was overhauled at that time, and Jasper Engines repaired the block. He had smeared JB Weld or some other gray type silicone/epoxy type stuff over it, so I couldn't see the actual repair. He used the same stuff on the vavle cover gasket to temporarily stop that leak. His dad bought the tractor new, and he said it primarily pulled that plow - fast!
I don't need a 4020 today. I would be less upset over the crack if you saw was a small weld bead. Maybe the epoxy isn't necessarry/can be removed. Your guys' thoughts??

Edited by GenX 7/28/2016 21:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)