AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semi Trailer Tenders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rollinsorchards
Posted 7/29/2016 03:41 (#5438346 - in reply to #5437516)
Subject: RE: Semi Trailer Tenders

Garland Maine
Fill location depends on the sprayer, and the day. In some locations without a lot of space it is handy to be flexible. When you had a foot of rain the previous week and don't dare leave the road with the truck sometimes you need to be creative getting the sprayer close enough. Are the sprayers you are tending front fill or side fill? Are the fields set up for 18 wheeler access or is the farmer still using a single axle truck?

There are times I would have preferred two smaller primary tanks instead of one big one, and sometimes it doesn't matter. My experience with a 24 or so foot truck body is that the tank needs to be centered for weight distribution, which leaves room for two pallets or totes behind and two pallets or totes ahead of the tank. Not all that convenient. Thirty feet may not be much better. If you have two smaller tanks put one on each end and have a lot of flat deck to use in the middle of the trailer.

Fully drainable tanks are better. Washing algae out of a cheap tank is a pain. Tank size depends on sprayer size, but generally two full tanks of sprayer is a good number to shoot for. Not knowing the weight of the trailer I am guessing 3500 gallons or less is your legal load.
Make sure you plumb that up so the same pump can load the tank or load the sprayer. No sense taking a bunch of camlock fittings apart and leaking stuff all over when a few tees and valves would make that mess free. Make sure you spec tanks that will transport liquid fertilizer, which is heavier than water.

Not sure what kind of deck height you are working with, but steps are better than a ladder. Flat treads on a steep incline like a stepladder is better than a straight up and down ladder.

Thought about mounting the pump under the deck once, but after ripping the landing gear off the trailer on an awkward field entrance we decided not to. I am envisioning this military trailer has a deck about chin level, so you probably have more room, but still make the box protecting the pump and plumbing rugged.

A method for containing trash is handy.

Space for at least 4 pallets, totes, shuttles, or whatnot that can reach the cone tank easily.

Clean water for handwash / eyewash is good.

Here folks still use a lot of 2.5 gallon jugs for adjuvants and small additives. Build a rack or cabinet below the deck for a bunch of those boxes, again not so low it will drag on the ground. It is handy to have an assortment of adjuvants on hand.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)