AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cattle corrals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 9/12/2008 23:50 (#458927 - in reply to #458469)
Subject: Re: cattle corrals

Western Nebraska
That is Grandin that you are talking about. After all of the information that I have heard about and from her, I am starting to question if she really is able to understand cattle like she thinks she does. I think her disability has given her a personal connection to the cattle that may not necessarily translate very well for people that aren't her. We have been using curves in a crowding tub and some of her other principles for years and I have to say that we haven't had very good luck with them. Maybe it is just us, but I am not real impressed. In the Bud videos he says that you can work cattle through any facility, if you know cattle. He doesn't advocate spending big bucks on building fancy curved facilities, rather learning how to work your cattle with what you have. For the average Joe, I think Bud is probably a better example than Grandin is. Having sung his praises though, now I have to say that his advice on weaning calves has not been much use to us. If you can get a hold of the DVDs watch them, you will take quite a bit of good out of them, but if you think everything he says is going to work right away you will be in for a lot of frustration.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)