AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

From the drum brake post below, how about rear disc brakes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DennisZ
Posted 7/25/2016 05:00 (#5430883)
Subject: From the drum brake post below, how about rear disc brakes?

Alentejo, Portugal
Always had vehicles with rear drum brakes but nowadays most have disc brakes at the rear as well. I have absolutely no trouble in changing front pads or discs. But at the rear it is a different story. Oil operated disc brake and cable operated parking brake. How do you back the piston up to put new brake pads in?

My brother tried the other day on his Peugeot 307 SW. Called me, how do you back these up? You have to push them in like on the front I told him. He wasn't able to so he took the whole callipers off the car and put the piston under our shop press. Oh they backed up all right.... Needless to say they didn't work after that. Local shop had to put on new callipers.

Our company van has disc brakes at the rear also. Same problem to back up. We managed to rotate the piston and back it up at the same time.

My '11 KIA Sportage has had problems with the rear brakes from the beginning. I have had the car roll off onto a big rock in my garden because the parking brake didn't hold. You had to pull the brake lever all the way up and still wouldn't hold the car. After that the dealer adjusted the parking brake, would hold at the first click. Almost wouldn't release. Then they have proceeded to adjust it multiple times after that and the car always comes back with the parking brake not holding. Now dealer says it's probably dirt in between the callipers and the rotors. Yeah right...

So my question is, how do you adjust rear disc brakes?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)