AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Firestone vs. Michelin tractor tires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

slowzuki
Posted 7/21/2016 22:12 (#5424592 - in reply to #5424327)
Subject: RE: Firestone vs. Michelin tractor tires

New Brunswick, Canada
Michelins stand up to road work better than any tires I've ever run. They wear like iron. Traction in wet ground is great. In dry stuff you need a narrower tire than what you'd pick in a bias ply style, the things that keep it up in mud hurt it on dry and on ice.

GregChuckles - 7/21/2016 20:40

Fire away.
Need to replace rears on a MFWD loader tractor. Came factory with Good for a Year. Lucky they lasted 9 years but big chunks coming out of lugs.

Tractor gets used for haying, hauling hay, and stacking bales in summer through fall. Rest of the year daily feeding cows.

In the spring tractor will be in mud everyday. In the winter ice and snow, and gets roaded down the highway 3 Miles a day.

Tire guy told me Michelin will wear better and rude better on the road as well as give better traction in slop conditions. Only downfall is that the tires will crack more being exposed to manure, something with the composition of the tire.

Firestones will grip better on hard hay ground and icy conditions. Ride won't be as good on roads and won't dig as good as Michelins in mud. Tires will never crack but lugs will year quite abit quicker.

So is he right? Ultimately it's my choice, but what's the better tire. For whatever reason, Michelins aren't very common here...Firrstones are. I'm guessing it's a money deal, stones are good tires, but if the Michelins are better and last longer I will spend the extra dollars.

BTW when it comes to front MFWD tires on a loader tractor I will only buy Firestones. They are the only manufacturer that specifically designed a tire with side wall strength to get all the side by side torque with having the weight on the front and steering. That's what my tire guy told me and I believe him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)