AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stuck Brass Seat in Carb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 7/20/2016 22:16 (#5422598)
Subject: Stuck Brass Seat in Carb

NW KS/ SC ID
Hey all,

I am working on a little yard tractor, 18 hp sears with a 2cyl. Briggs.

I have been having flooding issues, So, I finally got a rebuild kit, and it comes with a new needle and seat. according to the Briggs Service manual, the seat needs to be flush with the body, and so that is possibly the root cause of my issue, the old one is deeper in than flush, could very well be why its flooding.

So, I follow manual instructions roughly, it says I need to use a 1/4 inch self tapping bolt as a puller.

So I find a 1/4 x 1 inch self tapping bolt, thread a nut onto it, and use a brass compression fitting to fit over the hole to still allow the seat to come up out of the hole, but to spread out the force and not hurt the carb body. The manual wants a little spacer from a fuel tank, but I cant find one on any of the parts engines.

I am only running the bolt in about 1/4 inch before I run out of threads, and it turns very tight.

after tightening down the nut and pulling the bolt out of the seat a few times, I gave up. I hosed it down in penetrating oil and put it in the freezer, thinking that expanding and contracting at different rates, the penetrating oil might soak in.

Do I need a longer bolt, and if so, do I need to be threading it in till it bottoms out in the seat? I am scared it will hurt the carb if I do this.

Also, did I do right by freezing it, or would I be better off warming the body of the carb?

Worse case, is this a very common issue that a seasoned briggs shop should be able to easily handle? I might be better off hiring this one done.

Any advice on how to get the seat out would be greatly appreciated, as something about me, carburators, and small engines in general dont get along well... :)

Thanks!

Edited by GM Guy 7/20/2016 22:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)