AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New glaris wisconsin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ridge Valley Cropper
Posted 7/21/2016 18:15 (#5424035 - in reply to #5423482)
Subject: RE: New glaris wisconsin

SCWisconsin
A little New Glarus Trivia. (I grew up in New Glarus BTW). Moved away for some years, but later came back. Not 'Glaris' but 'Glarus'. Glarus Switzerland, thus: New Glarus USA. Yup, pretty hilly around here, but also beautiful. My dad used to tell me: We don't have the 'greatest' farmland versus other areas, but it sure is pretty. A tourist destination, many Chicagoan's it seems. Town always full of people, year around it seems by now. Also a commuter 'feeder' into Madison, a short drive.

A small challenge to grain farm, (what I do), but not off the charts. My biggest tractor is well over-sized for my operation, as I don't like the tail wagging the dog, if you know what I mean. My Combine has duals, maybe not necessary, but it sure is nice on the side hills when the grain tank is full. Year in and out, the hills do produce.
Really, only a ridge or two away, and to the east, land flattens into very nice rolling ground.

Glarner Stube: The restaurant guys are referencing in Posts: 'Glarner'. Glarus resident identification I believe, adding the 'er' at the end, 'Stube' (house). Maybe not exactly, but something like this. This place is over the top excellent. Wow! I recommend their Swiss Cuisine. They have American Menu as well, (Also excellent) but hey, when in Little Switzerland, eat European. Madison has numerous excellent restaurants, Glarner Stube doesn't take 2nd to any in the City. The place is small, and crowded, but worth it. Also; there are a number of other great restaurants, you can find in town.

Lastly: New Glarus Brewery. Seems everyone knows about this place by now. I've been all over the US, and in the past told folks, Ya, I'm from a small town in Wisconsin, close to Madison. I have learned that if I just say 'New Glarus' they return with 'Spotted Cow".

Sorry if this isn't the right Forum, I got a little carried away, but it seemed a lot of guys responded, so I thought I would act as a temporary tourist spokesman. I take no credit for N.G. flourishing due to my many years of absence, but do re-enjoy the area. If you can't find something to do in the area, you aren't looking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)