AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who makes the best grass seed combine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 7/1/2016 06:35 (#5384830 - in reply to #5384345)
Subject: RE: Who makes the best grass seed combine?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

We cut fescue seed often in pastures with IH combines of many different numbers.  We set it like wheat, IFIRC.
Secret is to have a cleaner booked before combining, as the seed would heat up rapidly and kill germination if not cleaned quickly.  Have often combined during the day, and cleaned that night.  If that is not possible, we spread it out in a shallow wagon like a hay rack with short sides, for example.  Have also spread it over a cement floor in a thin layer if cleaning was not available in short time.  I do believe I cut fescue with an IH 1460 rotary combine I had, never tried it with my 1680 I had last.  We had cattle grazing when we cut seed, so never tried for high yields.  Cost of seed usually paid for all basic expenses making it a bonus crop for us.
And yes, a local farmer kept his pull type AC with rubber rasp bars to cut clover and grass seeds.  They were the best, and we often gave him half the seed to cut it for us.  I do not know of any AC pull type left in this area, so that option is probably not available to you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)