AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High Speed Internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/27/2016 07:47 (#5378331 - in reply to #5378111)
Subject: RE: High Speed Internet

southern MN
Cable or DSL are the best unlimited data options if you can get them. Their big cost is to get a wire laid to your doorstep, after that they have low overhead so they can send you unlimited data long term.

Anything that broadcasts wirelessly has a lot of money tied up in power costs, licencing fees in acquiring bandwidth, and are crimped by data bandwidth limits themselves, and will always be pushing for data limits or for more money to cover their overhead on these items. As well you need line of sight to a tower most of the time. Many of the wireless businesses seem small, local, and here today, gone tomorrow from what I've seen around me....

Cable is about nonexistent in the country, but a lot of phone companies have tried to keep up with DSL. I'm paying $80 for basic phone and 14m DSL. Unlimited data. They have faster plans, mine is about basic plan. My understanding is their DSL booster dealie is a mile from me, that affects the speed you can get. It appears they are trying to drop a booster (yea the phone people are laughing at me, it has an actual name not a booster...) every 5 miles or so.

When I started with DSL several years ago it was a 1m service. Every year or so I get a notice it is bumping up in speed, same cost. Actually the first year it went from 1m to 2m and the price dropped $40 a month. Since then it went to 5, 7, 10, and now 14m.

Anyhow the best Internet options for no data limits are any sort of wire (or fiber) to your house because of their lower overhead once the wire is there.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)