AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tranquilizer guns?? any one use them?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

In plain view
Posted 9/5/2008 10:00 (#452360 - in reply to #451958)
Subject: RE: Tranquilizer guns?? any one use them?

I've had a tranq gun (rifle) for about four years now. When I bought it, I felt that it would be a one time thing. I can't believe how many times I have used it since ! If you have cattle, I would highly recommend one. I tried mine once on a hog with no luck at all-the skin must be too thick since the dart would not penetrate. The gun that I have came from NASCO and uses two CO2 cartridges for power. The only problem that I have experienced with this setup is that when the CO2 cartridges are new, the dart sometimes bounces back out instead of sticking in the animal--95% of the time it still put the animal down. On the other side, when the CO2 cartridges are getting low, the trajectory of the dart is hard to judge--thus making it harder to stick the animal. I always felt that a pump-up setup might be a little more consistent on the dart trajectory area. I have two sizes of darts for different doses. The drug comes from my local vet. The one thing that I have learned is that no two animals are the same. The dosage that will put one animal out will only make the next one groggy and this will require a second round. If you only want to medicate instead of putting down, this can be done also-does away with catching the animal. I will warn you that when your neighbors find out that you have a tranq gun, you will be asked to join in some rather strange situations--I always enjoy helping a neighbor and most will offer to pay(for me, payment for the drug is all that is necessary). Good luck!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)