AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop dusters in the drone zone (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

rustndust
Posted 6/1/2016 07:40 (#5331364 - in reply to #5326002)
Subject: RE: Crop dusters in the drone zone (pic)

paul the original - 5/28/2016 23:45 I would certainly do what I could to avoid issues. It is shared airspace, we are in a new time. If I'm in the middle of my farm and I don't have any spraying done on my farm, the crop dusters need to be mindful of why they would be in 'my' airspace? Kind of like spray drift, when you cross the boundries some responsibility shifts. I'm in a small neighborhood that is not conducive to canning crops, so there is very little plane spraying around here. A very little bit of soybean aphid is about it for a very short period in fall. I'm concerned about the low flying the crop dusters do as they travel 30 miles from their base to the fields. I believe by rights they are supposed to be above 400 feet at such times, but many are so used to flying low they feel they save time and fuel by just skimming along the whole flight. Perhaps in today's world that is something they will need to change? As we share 'the' airspace. Not 'mine' or 'theirs'. Paul

"the crop dusters need to be mindful of why they would be in 'my' airspace?"

14 CFR 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
The 500 feet restriction can mean laterally....1 foot off the ground...500 feet to the side....

for "crop dusters"...part 137...

Sec. 137.49

Operations over other than congested areas.

Notwithstanding Part 91 of this chapter, during the actual dispensing operation, including approaches, departures, and turnarounds reasonably necessary for the operation, an aircraft may be operated over other than congested areas below 500 feet above the surface and closer than 500 feet to persons, vessels, vehicles, and structures, if the operations are conducted without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)