AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is there Any fungicide I can apply to headed out Oats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 5/26/2016 17:18 (#5322028 - in reply to #5321920)
Subject: RE: is there Any fungicide I can apply to headed out Oats

Sanilac Co. Michigan
I've used fungicide on my oats, primarily concern is crown rust, it can really do a number on yield. We don't run into issues with fusarium, so have never bothered with an application at heading.

Best bang for your fungicide buck is probably just before or at flag leaf or at emergence of the prior or penultimate leaf. That's because those are leaves primarily responsible for photosynthesis during heading and grain fill. So anything you can do to protect those leaves should result in bigger yield and heavier test weight! Earlier applications that you might put down with your herbicide seem to help with stem strength and hopefully reduce the risk if lodging.

All that said, I think you'd get a benefit even if the oats are just starting to "lace out".

I've used Prosaro, but figure out first what fungal diseases you're most concerned with in your area. This year I'm looking at Propiconisol (sp) which looks to be a lot cheaper and has very good ratings against leaf rusts according to MSU.

I'm thinking that given your location, you'd typically have warm nights and that should be ideal for the development of fungal diseases. Especially with any unusual moisture! I'm guessing some sort of fungicide regiment would be mandatory for top oat yields.

Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)