AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case Ih AFS 1250 planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 5/23/2016 08:04 (#5315800 - in reply to #5315565)
Subject: RE: Case Ih AFS 1250 planter

n.c.iowa

I've seen this question asked often enough, and a tech and I have looked into doing it,  it doesn't appear to be too hard.  the drawback is that it could be a fairly expensive project.     the foldbox still has to have some auto function built into it( marker sequence, obstacle avoidance,  the ability to adjust frame movement stops) and then the there is a extra wiring harness to be built, then who is going to do service on it.  

then also with the integra, I believe it can't control vacuum, or bulk fill blower speed, somebody please correct me if i'm wrong about that.   and i'm kinda thinking that the 20/20 can't either.

I know that the cih planter monitors get kicked around like some stray dog, and there are some reasons for that sentiment, but i this year ran a 700 for the first time on a planter, this after swearing some years ago that i would never run a pro series monitor on a planter ever again after my pro 600 experience.   i was pleasantly surprised by it's responsiveness, yes there are still some idiosyncrasies, but i guess you got to use that computer on your shoulders alittle bit.    a lot of the monitor problems stem from the sensors seeing dust and debris, and the pro series monitors not having the best software to deal with it.

my advice to you in this matter would be this, get the machine bought, see what you got.  first option, if possible beg, borrow, or steal a pro 700 monitor, no it won't give you singulation, good ride, profit or loss from going too fast, etc.   but it will work good enough, and hey, it will steer your tractor, run your sprayer, and do yield monitoring, unlike the 20/20.

i know the buzzword is single monitor solutions in the cab, but that is highly overrated.

lastly, i know individual row electric motor drives, hydraulic downpressure,  special metering units, all seem like the future.  but you really have to separate the cool factor from the dollars and cents( or sense, if you prefer) of the whole deal.      I've been running individual row control for 6 years now, and it's really worked good for me, no complaints. other than the hit to the pocketbook,                                                                                      
   bought a 2008 ih planter this spring off a auction on the cheap.    was really only gonna plant beans with it. well as the season progressed we ended planting corn with it, quite abit actually, and this planter is barebones stock, doesn't even have row shutoffs.    slapped a pro 700 on to run it, and as i look at my stands between my two planters today, i'm really having a hard time to come up with any reason to precisionize this 2008 planter.

lastly if you are bound and determined to run a "precision type monitor" have a look at raven their monitors will run everything on a cih planter, except for the fold functions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)