AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NON Confinment hog raisers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmertom311
Posted 5/22/2016 18:35 (#5314941)
Subject: NON Confinment hog raisers

Monticello ky
Hey guys been doing a lot of thinking here lately . I have a few hogs and I raise them in a Confinment type environment. I started out as a mud farrowing in old mule stalls and raising feeder pigs outside. Even as an adult I started out farrowing in pens . I followed the trend of more Confinment went to slotted finishing then farrowing crates and whatnot . you know the drill. I have about decided that I enjoyed it a whole lot more before and am thinking about getting back to an older way of doing things . now I am not sold on the no antibiotics , trying to finish hogs on grass cause people think their cattle thing. But I really did enjoy it more doing it the way my grandpa did.

So I was just wanting some ideas from you guys as to what you were doing and what was working . I am looking for a low labor way of farrowing wether it's on pasture or in pens . I've never farrowed in pasture. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of letting them loose and theyfind a but and make it work. Like I said just looking for ideas

Thanks

God Bless
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)