AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Allis d-21 greatness
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

150pilot
Posted 5/15/2016 22:32 (#5303989 - in reply to #5303198)
Subject: RE: Allis d-21 greatness

New London, Wisconsin
I spend several years doing tillage and chopping silage on one when I was young. The boss I had in my college days had one with the cab removed, pump turned up, and 23.1x34 tires. None of the other tractors I drove could come close to keeping up with that D21. It was nice to drive with finger tip power steering, and if you wore hearing protection. It was a loud beast if you didn't. At night on a hard pull the bottom of the straight pipe would glow a little. I have no idea how much power it was putting out, but it could tip a dyno on its side without any indication it was tired yet. A few years later I bought my first tractor, a 3 year old 1586 and I think they were close in power. By then the 21 was gone and we never tried them side by side.

I wasn't an Allis fan with the exception of the 21's and that one I drove was very reliable too. The boss finally got tired of the noise and bought a quieter tractor but it had a lot of life left in it when it left.

Driving that D21 was the first time I experienced a machine that never ran out of horsepower. 3rd was the only tillage gear we ever used, but with all that power it was the only one we ever needed.

I later owned a Mack 237 with a 5 speed in a straight truck and it reminded me of the D21. Not too many gears, and no need for any more of them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)