AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dandelions In Spiking Conventional Corn Field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mounder
Posted 4/29/2016 12:00 (#5271702 - in reply to #5271429)
Subject: RE: Dandelions In Spiking Conventional Corn Field

N.W. Illinois
I would use caution applying either 2,4-D or dicamba as a pre emerge on corn. Severe crop injury can occur especially if you have the wrong weather window.
DiFlexx is Bayer's dicamba product with a safener that can be applied pre or post. I used some last year on some of our corn with good results but it was not for dandelion control.
In the past I used Status on corn at v3-v4 to control dandelions with good results. For us Callisto dings the dandelions, turns them white, but does not completely kill them many times.
One thing to keep in mind is the dandelions that survived the field cultivator will be tougher to kill now.
Check with your seed corn dsm or agronomist to make sure the hybrids you have planted are tolerant of growth regulator herbicides.
For some reason we are seeing dandelions making a resurgence on some of our corn on corn acres. Dandelion problems start the previous year or years. The best time to kill them for sure is in the fall. Much better control in the fall that is relatively inexpensive and no chance for crop injury.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)