AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retained bull calf pairing (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/28/2016 23:19 (#5270787 - in reply to #5269996)
Subject: RE: Retained bull calf pairing (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

puff33m - 4/28/2016 19:06 Is 33 bigger than 88? Does 88 have calculated epds? Did you say you bought a new grown bull?

33 is going to calve in early June a bit after her 2nd birthday, she is a 2014 heifer, 88 is a 2015 bull calf. Right now 33 weighs about 200 lb more than 88.

88 is registered but I only register to maintain pedigree, I don't report data to the AHA. His sire (Huth Z072) and dam (Schu-Lar 29W) are both registered with EPDs however so I feel his will be about the average of the two.

Yes I did purchase a new registered Hereford bull at the recent Ellis Farms (EFBeef) sale to replace Z072 who is getting too large and having too many offspring in my herd. A rule of thumb is to have any one sire or dam be not more than 50% of the genetics of any of my cattle.   The Ellis bull I purchased should be a good outcross mix with my current genetics including reducing average cow size. The Ellis bull (EFBeef C627) is a good, solid, beefy looking bull with great CED and marbling with just a 4.6 frame size.

Edited by Jim 4/29/2016 11:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)