AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to me weather mix.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

khall_12_34
Posted 4/4/2016 08:35 (#5220539)
Subject: New to me weather mix.

Formerly NE North Dakota, now NW MN
So, since we're now in April which is generally when I would like to start farming, I started looking at weather models again today. (I ignore them in the winter. It's north dakota after all. Looking at weather models in February here is rarely good for much more than inducing seasonal affective disorder.)

The Euro model was like... cold. Not even much time in the model above 45 degrees for our area. Even southern MN didn't spend much time above 55 or 60, but plenty of time right around 32. So I did what any biased human would do- concluded the Euro model is probably broken and loaded the GFS.

Well, the GFS has us getting down to like 18 degrees F on April 13th, and really doesn't have any meaningful warmup before or after that.

I suppose if we had two feet of snow on the ground, like '09 or '11, these temps probably wouldn't be unprecedented, but in my limited time playing this game, this is a new weather extreme for me. We're pretty much dry enough to go run around in/on most our fields, but nothing temperature wise makes it look like a very good idea. Even for spring wheat.

That polar vortex parked in Canada seems to be the real deal. For now, it makes it look like, it might be challenging for some of us to get a corn stand. Is that enough to make me bullish? No, not really. I guess imho this isn't the kind of weather pattern that can wipe out a crop. Just one that'll make things a little challenging at the start. It does make you wonder though... How long is that polar vortex going to hang out? I'm not sure I'd be real happy to see that thing still there in May.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)