AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sat you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Maizeing
Posted 3/8/2016 18:51 (#5163892 - in reply to #5163758)
Subject: RE: Sat you holed up yet

Ontario's middle east
We had an awesome trip. I'm afraid the young guys might be disappointed in what we call fun now. Met a fellow from over by Ville Platte, LA at dinner Friday night who was telling me about double cropping rice and crawfish.....That was a little hard for a northern boy to comprehend so he invited us out for a tour Sunday. So with Sat at the wheel, Phantom Farmer and I hit the road. These guys are levelling these fields to reduce water requirements and keep depths shallow. The rotation is they will flood the fields in Oct after rice harvest, then release small crawfish around the field. The crawfish feed off the remnants of the rice crop and reproduce. In Jan they start trapping them and will do that until June when the yield drops, then they will let the water down and when the water drops the crawfish will bury themselves in the ground deep enough that they can drill rice over them then reflood the field and the crawfish come back up. In late Aug they will let the water off again and the crawfish go down so they can harvest. After harvest they flood again and start crawfish harvest again in Jan. I had never heard of such a thing. They will bring about $3/lb at the beginning of the season and drop to around $2 when supply is good. They use little paddle wheeled boats to get around the shallow water (maybe 8-12"). The traps are baited with a big pellet that attracts the crawfish. Of course the southern hospitality wouldn't let us go until we had a traditional Cajun crawfish boil. Wow. You have to like spicy, but those things were awesome!

Edited by Maizeing 3/8/2016 19:00

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (121KB - 73 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (122KB - 62 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (126KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (151KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (122KB - 57 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (161KB - 50 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)