AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

spreading dap and potash on frozen ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rab1964
Posted 2/13/2016 09:41 (#5108367 - in reply to #5108047)
Subject: RE: spreading dap and potash on frozen ground

ocfarms - 2/13/2016 07:28

Last week I brought up the situation of spreading fert on frozen ground to our local fert supplier. Their reply was that for the first time ever they received a letter from IFCA, Illinois Fertilizer and Chemical Association, stating that spreading on frozen ground could make them liable for damage/pollution should someone sue them over spreading. Tough call but I personally agree with the voluntary recs from the NLRS. I am holding off on my own winter apps of fert until planting but this makes me nervous. I don't like anything driving in the field before planting.

Not disagreeing with spreading on frozen ground but who is responsible when that flash 7" rain occurs in April before that fertilizer is in the ground. A just sprayed field of chemicals and 32% with a one hour 6" rain. Is there no runoff then? There is no perfect answer, plenty of times when a winter application can work just as well. I understand that it can and will happen year around, personally I don't want any more tracks out there in spring than absolutely necessary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)