AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Updating firmware on NavII
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/4/2016 13:53 (#5088012 - in reply to #5087864)
Subject: RE: Updating firmware on NavII

The safest thing to do is find out what version you are running and step it up one at a time until you get to v11. It's been a couple of years, so I'm a little behind on the firmware issues. Seems like every so often they push out an update that turns into kryptonite to a nav controller then you have to back it down a version until the next one comes. When I was green to this stuff I thought it was good to keep everyone updated, but now I've moved over to the "if it's not broke don't fix it" mentality. A lot of updates are for added features, and in the case of nav controllers, added vehicle profiles. If you do your own update, it is a good practice to cycle the power after each update.

As far as the FlashLoader 200, it's a pretty simple program. Install it on your computer if you haven't already. Open it up and click on settings. Make sure there is dot next to serial link, port to auto, and low speed connection box is checked. Once this is done click on the box next to Upload Firmware. You will get a pop up box and you will need to find where your firmware upgrade file is. Click on your firmware file, click open and click proceed in the top right hand corner. It will attempt to connect and pop up another box that will say something like "use controller on portxxx", click yes or ok whatever the option is. It will give you a progress bar and just wait until it is complete then cycle the power. Sometimes, on the first attempt, it will get almost done and then give a connection error. If you get this just run it again, usually goes the second time. If the connection fails when you click proceed, either your computer isn't connected to the nav correctly or you may need a null modem adapter, which simply switches pins 2 and 3 around.

Iv'e stated this on other posts, but I'm going to say it again to save somebody some money. Be careful with nav controllers. Trimble and CNH NAV II controllers are the same hardware and both are programmed with FlashLoader 200 but the firmware is different. If you load Trimble firmware into a CNH NAV II or vise versa, you will lock up the controller at best, and fry it at worst. I had one that couldn't be reversed. A Trimble dealer got a hold of a CNH nav and didn't know the difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)