AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2x2 placement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/29/2016 10:07 (#5072255 - in reply to #5071006)
Subject: RE: 2x2 placement

I'm thinking there may not be any beneficial effect because when side dressing doing it every other row seems to be as effective as every row. Either way there's 15" from crop to fertilizer strip, just on one side instead of both sides. And its likely there is a limit to what is near the row at planting without root damage while the late season side dressing matches the corn's nitrogen consumption better.

The last time I planted corn I did about 60 pounds of N 2-1/4" from the rows, then side dressed 40 pounds dribbled mid of every other row when the corn was 4 feet tall. By careful corn number selection for efficient use of nutrients and high organic matter I got 173.2 bushel yield that year with only 111 pounds of nitrogen applied. One of the three corn numbers in the field didn't like that treatment and tipped back half the ear. With the late side dressing, the lower leaves didn't fire until very late while all the neighboring fields (fall applied NH3) were fired. But the corn number did eat the stalks at the end and it was ready to lay down, but I got it combined before it all fell over.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)