AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop lifters and down milo?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 1/12/2016 23:51 (#5032126 - in reply to #5030361)
Subject: RE: Crop lifters and down milo?

NW KS/ SC ID
Our experience is with the Gaterman 8A and 8B.

We use them in Idaho for various down grains, barley, wheat, malt barley, etc. yields are up to 150 bu/acre, sometimes its all on the ground, and it gets it all. the tip gets under the crop mat and lifts it up nice. Also very tough.

In milo, we have no experience, but had a friend with a R62 and a 400 series 27 foot header with some down milo this fall in western KS, and we loaned him some 8A or 8B Gatermans (cant remember exactly) and he said they worked very well, and he said to name a price if we want to sell them. I guess if he wants to buy them, they must be pretty good in that application.

We have zero crop lifter experience in milo, but in the small grains, I did not like the SCH, as if you ran too close to the ground, the springy body would flex down and let the tip come up. IMO it was a comprimise between a low header height and still getting under the crop. If you can tilt your cutter bar some it may combat this issue.

I have zero experience with the poly finger SCH, it looks decent, especially for rough terrain where ingestion is a possibility.

I have never ran the Flexxfinger, but after seeing a set at an auction, with 2 or 3 broken ones on the top of the pile, IMO you had a brittle weak pot metal body combined with a plastic stick. IMO if you want something to break, get the SCH poly finger, that way its much cheaper to replace.

The Flexxfinger probably is more ingestion friendly than a Gaterman, but in the jagged Idaho lava rock laden fields, I have never gotten a Gaterman in the header. Broke the front mount and swung it around and broke a sickle section or two, yes, but it never came apart.

So, IMO the Gaterman is the way to go.

Here is one source for the SCH if you decide to go that route.
http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/893710/

http://www.gaterman.com/crop-lifters.html they should be able to mail them to you, or find a dealer.

Good luck!

Edited by GM Guy 1/12/2016 23:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)