AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn canopy temperature?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 1/3/2016 08:47 (#5007021 - in reply to #5006992)
Subject: RE: corn canopy temperature?

McLeod County, MN
Mikenesd - 1/3/2016 07:35

Lets say that you have two fields planted the same day with the same hybrid. If you had temperature sensors placed in the canopy and the temperatures durning the day are running higher in field A than in field B could that be a indication that the corn in field A is transpiring less water than the corn in field B, for what ever reason?

Seems to me there would be lots of variables in an experiment like this. One of the reasons I am not sold on really high population and narrow rows is high night time temperatures. I walked with a neighbor through my 30" rows planted around 30K, then we went across the road to his 22" rows at 37.5k. Nothing scientific but we both thought 4-5 degrees warmer in his field. I thought it was hurting plant respiration.

Ever walk into a corn field at 10 pm on a really hot summer night?? That canopy can really trap the heat.

To answer your question Mike I would think you have to manage the soil differently in two different fields (fertility, tillage, drainage) to have an accurate side by side test. And then you would probably have to have a variable that you could change like population to see what you figure out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)