AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

another torpedo heater in front of bin fan question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

John In Ontario
Posted 12/25/2015 22:13 (#4987158 - in reply to #4986964)
Subject: RE: another torpedo heater in front of bin fan question

Ripley, Ontario Canada
You need a fair amount of air to dry with, at least 1 cf/bushel/min if you are going to dry in any amount of time. Not sure you have enough fan, but I don't know how hard milo is to push air through.

try this link

http://webapps.bbe.umn.edu/fans/

it will let you add your fan and grain depth and see how much airflow you have.

You also need a equilibrium moisture table for milo and see what relative humidity you need at those temps to dry to 15. Then you need to see if the btu's from the heater is enough accounting for any moisture you add burning propane. I think you likely have enough heat, but you will need more fan, like 2 or 3 times as much. Can you find a centrifugal fan, you axle really drops performance after your grain gets 10 feet deep, can't handle the static pressure.

I dry corn in a 19 foot diameter bin with a 7.5 hp inline centrifugal fan and a 135000 btu propane heater, but I only get 20 degrees f temp rise and it drys real slow below freezing. I have run it at -2 or 3 C (likely about 27-28 F) but can have trouble with the wind sensor freezing. Not sure how much lower I would go, but I have a lot more air than you.

Edited by John In Ontario 12/25/2015 22:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)