AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cost to grow corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 11/11/2015 07:52 (#4889812 - in reply to #4889642)
Subject: RE: cost to grow corn

EC Nebraska
GrainTrader - 11/11/2015 06:35

I am at the bottom of bowtie's example. 500 acres with my wife and I each having full time jobs. U asked why someone would do this. My question is how else do you become a successful long term full time farmer? My father farms as well as my uncle. Both are great and help me when they can. But both have a lot of farming left in them.

How else does one work themselves to a path of full time farming the to work a full time job and farm on the side?

I guess that's what it takes. And as long as there are people like you there won't be any shortage of farmers.

But I do have a couple questions for you. Things vary tremendously across the country, so I'm curious how it works out for you. How much work do you hire done, like spraying or hauling, etc?
Bowtie's comment made it seem as if there's no free time at all. Furthermore, 1,000 acres here would leave no free time at all if you were trying to do it outside of work hours. How does it work for you?

And is it worth it?

Granted, as something that might only last 10-15 years I can see it being more tolerable.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)