AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to get best return from P application in one year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RedRiverLouisiana
Posted 11/5/2015 10:02 (#4878410)
Subject: How to get best return from P application in one year

NW Louisiana
I'm picking up some more land next year from a landlord that is still farming. They farm cotton and we have farmed corn and beans for ten years on some of their heavier land that wasn't "cotton" type land. With cotton prices in the tank they are going to downsize for a year, maybe more and just farm their most profitable acres. During that time they want us to farm corn on more acres that need to be rotated out of cotton.

Most of the land is lighter than what we normally farm, but the majority should fit our normal program. However, they haven't been applying much or any P on these acres because they don't see much response for cotton. They do apply K every year with their N so I feel that won't be an issue.

I'm worried that the lighter soils won't have enough P to meet our needs. Would a starter application at planting be enough? We have dribbled 15gl of 20-10-0 behind the planter with the split Totally Tubular setup in the past. This was in addition to VR applying dry P in the fall every 2-3 years.

How can I get the most bang for my buck on P for one year? This is all dryland with a yield goal of 160-200 bu.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)