AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for odometer reading?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 10/3/2015 20:04 (#4821759)
Subject: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for odometer reading?

Southeast Wyoming

I have read about the raspberry Pi here with much interest.  A few months ago I was asking a IT tech who did attend our church about my wanting to be able to pull the odometer readings from my Freightliner (with C15 CAT engine) and into a tablet with the click of a button.  He suggested a Raspberry Pi.  He was giving his 5 year old son one and envisioned him learning a lot from it.

Does this sound like a viable option?  Suggestions please, as I am new to these devices.  I have some programming experience but not in the needed language.

I did buy a "display GP-E" from CAT which I have not installed yet.  It hooks onto the wires going to the diagnostic plug and will display the odometer readings and such if It works "as advertised".  By that I know that the information is there if I get enough help to be able to capture it and send it to the table.

Is there a better choice of device?  

Where is the best place to buy the Raspberry Pi (or ??) devices.  The guy at Radio Shack had no idea what I was talking about until he looked it up and then would not tell me if other stores in the area stock it. 

TIA 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)