AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybean aphids - spray advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 8/30/2015 11:08 (#4760779 - in reply to #4760720)
Subject: RE: soybean aphids - spray advice

Middlesex County, Ontario
CPAFarmer - 8/30/2015 11:21
Any thoughts are appreciated.

My thoughts; they are harsh. Management can only be as good as measurement. Your measurements are "I didn't spend time counting the entire plant" and "I estimate the stage." I'm a guy that really likes hard numbers so I am probably being overly critical with this comment. I just couldn't make that kind of spray decision based on feelings.

With a 45' boom you would need a couple bushels increase to pay for tramping loss and another couple bushels to pay for chemical.

The threshold here is 250 aphids per plant AND increasing. I don't know if you are there. Aphids start at the top of the plant earlier in the year. At this point in the season they are usually heaviest somewhere near the middle. You didn't count the entire plant. You should should scout weekly and count the entire plant in several areas of the field to determine if populations are increasing. Holding at 250 is fine. Increasing is not fine. Once you hit threshold you have a week before the population increases to damage level.

Stress at R4-R5 is what kills your yield so keep a close eye on it, probably scout twice a week until you hit R6. Once you hit R6 you are free and clear.

I would do a proper scouting and if its below 250, I would keep a close eye on it until R6.

Consider that you will run over 2 bushels per acre and the co-op with a 90 foot plus boom will run over 1. If it needs to be sprayed you are probably better off hiring it done. Its probably healthier for you too.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 8/30/2015 11:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)