AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/19/2015 20:51 (#4742497 - in reply to #4742027)
Subject: RE: What amazes me......

southern MN
Four hours ago I was standing in my poor little farm fields, snapped a few pics, and uploaded them here.

Over 7,000 people looked at this thread in the past 4 hours, from across the country - around the planet?

That's just amazing to a simple dirt farmer like me.

The field pictured, and the bigger ear, comes from a small 14 acre field that has a lot of peat and low ground in it. Its part of a 41 acre patch, but I've always had it separate because it was so hard to get into in spring, dad had 4 tile mains through it but it gathered more water than they could reach. It is not horribly peaty like some other fields I have, just real good OM many feet deep. But there were 4 spots at about 7 acres of the 14 that chronically suffered water damage. Plant around, spray around, combine around, come back later, look at the short yellow corn dips or replant the drown outs....

I pattern tiled the whole 41 acres on 80 foot centers 4 years ago.

Last year had beans there, we got a torrential rain of 5 inches in a couple hours after a week of puddle making rains. All but 2 acres of that field were under water in June for over a day. But, I didn't replant any - it drained off and I had one of my best bean fields ever on that 14 acres. I was surprised.

This year started dry, but we go a 4+ inch rain in July. I know there would have been 5-7 acres of corn drowned out - always has been in previous years. The whole 41 acres, and some of the neighbors fields funnel down onto this 14 acres.

But don't see any damage, no yellow spots in the field, it is deep green, big ears all the way through. I was able to plant it in mid April, and got 180 or so units of N on it because I have more faith in the field yielding on me. Also built the P and K a little over the last 4 years. Back when it drowned out or would have so many sickly spots in it, it was hard to invest extra in the ground.

I really have some high hopes for that small field.

Paul

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (106KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)