AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When do you stop spending money on a corn crop????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

First-gen IN
Posted 7/8/2015 21:19 (#4668964)
Subject: When do you stop spending money on a corn crop????

WCIN
I've been walking some corn this week and I am starting to see firing in the bottom leaves already. This corn should be tasseling on Monday or so. My Encirca says that I'm going to be 17 units short at tassel. Clearly I'm too late to make that. But I did ground truth it and it seems to be fairly accurate as far as which soil types are going to be low. I also was starting to see some GLS in the lower leaves as well, leading me to believe that a fungicide app might be in order.

I was pretty down on our corn. Thinking it is going to be somewhere between 160-180. Normal is 190-210 in "normal" years. But as I drove my family today to Sagatuk, Mi for a long weekend I can see I have nothing to be down about. Man I feel for you guys in NIN. We came up 25 to 31 then took it all the way north. Saw 4 Hagies dribbling on N in the pouring down rain.

I guess my question is, with a "decent" corn crop in the field. Would you spend another $70 an ac to put on another 30 lbs of N with a high boy (neighbor has a Miller with dribble drops) and a potential fungicide app? At $4 corn it'd take about 18 bu to breakeven. I just can't see this corn being much better than 190 but I can see it deteriorating to 150. If I didn't do the N then I don't see much reason for the fungicde. No sense in keeping the factory going if there is nothing to fuel it, right? What would you do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)