AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vomitoxin in ohio wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 7/6/2015 06:15 (#4663645 - in reply to #4663338)
Subject: Testing confusion fiasco

Some guys started Friday around here and I would say the ones that run, 95% of them were putting it in the bin, either because of Vomitoxin, sprouting, or wanted to get a jump due to many acres to be harvested, depending on size of operator.
One of my best friends stopped over to check to see if I had tried any and we started talking about the situation ahead. With our insurance, we need to keep a 1 gallon Ziplock bagful per load. My friend said he took one sample to branch A had it tested, then to branch B of same owned co-op and got 2 different readings on the Vom, all 3 of our branches got brand new testers about 2 weeks ago. However , for insurance our samples need to go to a USDA Federal testing office, and this needs to be done or taken there by a 3rd party ( insurance adjuster ) thus the Zip lock bags. Our one manager, says he will not keep our samples at the elevator, so what are we supposed to do now ?.....
This manager at main branch is known for docking hard and sampling tough.

The other question asked was, if the USDA Federal testing from our samples come back a lower PPM on Vom than our co-op elevator, was he going to then honor the USDA test with a lower Vom test, answer was...... NO. Supposedly, the co-op's new testers are of high quality similar / same as the fed's.

All the while this goes on, the wheat can be dumped in the pit, so all the good wheat and Vom wheat is being put in same area, which I know the elevator blends this to take to the river or lake ports....this would not bother me too much on the dockage if the poor wheat was saved separated per test and in another bin, but when in the same..... ????
It takes about 10 minutes for the Vom test, so if a guy wants to wait and truck elsewhere, he has that option.

I have to meet with insurance rep this morning, and will ask about if 3rd party is needed to take samples to federal office.
I am thinking of hauling to neighboring town ( a different co-op ) , which I also haul into, and see if the dock as hard there as well.
I also am still quite surprised there is not a USDA standards for all grain testing, not that we need more government intervention, but I am surprised at how far off the grading scale it can be.

Your thoughts or ideas ???

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)