AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you sell your hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 7/5/2015 16:01 (#4662705 - in reply to #4662138)
Subject: RE: How do you sell your hay?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I have about 8 good brokers I deal with. Most of them own their own fleet of trucks. Who it goes to depends on the market, and what kind of hay it is. Each one has something they are usually better at moving than someone else. Been dealing with them for a lot of years, so I usually know which one will pay the most.

Quite a bit goes to exporters. Usually in CA, but sometimes to other PNW locations as far as Ellensburg, WA. That market isn't doing well at the moment, thanks in large part to the Longshoremen being a bunch of greedy &$^$*s, but some other factors as well. Dairy hay usually goes down to Central CA, but sometimes Tillamook, OR. Anything that is feeder hay, rained on etc, usually goes to some beef operations, although sometimes it works for low end export.

The only market I don't usually consider is the feed store/horse hay/retail hay. They prefer smaller 3 tie, light bales. Have to be under 100 lbs. I run the old school 16x23x46 bales, and they are usually around 140 lbs. Fine for straight alfalfa to the markets I deal with, but doesn't work at all for retail hay. I know lots of people that cater to that market, and it is a good market especially if they have some grass hay/mixes, etc. My Mom's husband usually has all the above at his main set of barns, and he can mix and match as needed for retail stores. It isn't uncommon for him to load a truck with 2 blocks of straw, 2 blocks of grass, 2 blocks of alfalfa and two blocks of grain hay, etc. He gets a little better price and keeps the same broker happy every year. We always let the broker deal with the feedstores, no direct sales. They earn every penny of their commission.

More and more 3x4x8 big bales every year here. They certainly are easier/faster to put up. Dairy markets prefer big bales, exporters tolerate them, and dry cow/beef operations prefer them. The three tie thing is almost a specialty anymore, although I have yet to see any big premiums for 3 tie. Sometimes they are worth a little more for the premium Japanese market, but in a year like this where we didn't have any premium hay, not much of a difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)