AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

row cleaner vs no row cleaners soil temps update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 6/28/2015 02:30 (#4650101)
Subject: row cleaner vs no row cleaners soil temps update

Clark SD

This is a update to a previous post that can be found here.
 http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=560406&posts=5&highlight=row cleaners&highlightmode=1#M4611447

In this field where the previous crop was rye i tried a test simulating using a row cleaner to just remove the residue vs leaving the residue over the row. The soil is a sandy loam. To simulate the row cleaner i scraped the residue over a 10 inch wide area over the corn row, the corn had all ready emerged when i started the test.
When i checked the field on the 26th the plants in the residue cleared rows were no further along than the plants in the residue covered row, in both areas the plants had 6 leaves with collars and were 17 inches tall leaf over.

When looking at maximum soil temperatures the daily highs are generally higher for the residue cleared row, but over night temps were lower compared to the residue covered rows. But when you figure the gdd's there isn't much difference between the two.

Edited by Mikenesd 6/28/2015 02:35

(us boys rye stubble emerged corn min max soil temps corn gdd 6 26 2015.bmp)

(us boys corn 6 collar rc 6 26 2015.jpg)

(us boys corn 6 collar rnc 6 26 2015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments us boys rye stubble emerged corn min max soil temps corn gdd 6 26 2015.bmp (1499KB - 564 downloads)
Attachments us boys corn 6 collar rc 6 26 2015.jpg (231KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments us boys corn 6 collar rnc 6 26 2015.jpg (239KB - 584 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)