AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This is why I hate selling wheat (FOLLOW UP)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tompa
Posted 6/23/2015 21:06 (#4642731 - in reply to #4642529)
Subject: RE: This is why I hate selling wheat (FOLLOW UP)

North shore of Lake Ontario
You say you have cattle. What is your feeding program? The way to grow better wheat in our area is to plant it on time. None of this nov 1 just beat the crop insurance deadline stuff . With cattle you could grow a forage crop for feed that would come off early enough to get the wheat in.

Pick good varieties. It's really tempting to use any old bin run but that is a mistake. I would only use bin run for the year following a certified crop. That way you can experiment with several varieties to see what does best. The most reliable is soft red .Higher prices for whites and hard reds. Look for a niche market. Sometimes they are out there.
Follow Phil Needhams advice. It's pretty good and no sense trying to reinvent the wheel in learning to grow better wheat crops.
Watch the futures market. There were some good opportunities to be had last fall when it was looking like not much wheat would be planted
If you have a dryer don't be afraid to use it. Wheat is easy to dry. We have combined wheat at 25% and dried it rather than wait for it and risk sprouting. Sometimes if it does sprout drying will buff it up enough to to make grade.
Lastly put as much effort into it as corn and beans . It will reward you in ways you won't always under stand. Such as increased corn yields following wheat. Or the ability to get a nitrogen fixing cover crop in on time to produce a good chunk of you N requiremts.
Email is good if you want to chat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)