AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GP planter adjusting disk opener gauge wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 6/6/2015 22:27 (#4612551)
Subject: GP planter adjusting disk opener gauge wheels

East Central Arkansas

This is on a Great Plains 825 YP twin row planter. Planter has planted less than 500 ac and I noticed some of the gauge wheels are not snug against the disk. I know this has to be a better system than the JD 1700 came with that got replaced with RK products adjusters but on a twin row it sure is a pain to adjust them. New planter purchased last year and only planted about 300 ac. It was still planting perfectly when I finished last year so I didn't even really look at those things before starting to plant. Only going to plant about 325 ac so I figured I would go over it good this winter. I noticed yesterday some of the wheels had a gap between them and the disk openers. We got rain this morning so I cleaned the planter up and got started trying to adjust some of them. It's sure not a job for a hot muggy day. A single row planter wouldn't be all that bad but having two units 8 inches apart sure complicates things. This is the one that has seed hoppers for each unit. I did come up with a chain with hooks off of a rubber strap to hold the wheels at the right dept setting while adjusting. I am not for sure I actually understand the book on the adjusting procedure but am getting the tires where they make contact with the disk with a slight amount of pressure. I have a feeling some of the bolts were not tightened good from the factory. This planter had a couple of the gauge wheel arms broke on it when new where they clamp the pivot point that I think was from those being overtightened.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)