AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poor man's calf alley
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mark in NEMO
Posted 5/27/2015 13:10 (#4594083)
Subject: Poor man's calf alley

Northeast Missouri
Last year was 1st year with our calf table. We have a sheeted, adjustable width alley but don't want to move our big chute to work calves. So we just set corral panels inside the head gate to lead out to the calf table. The table worked great but getting calves up to it didn't--I had just used a couple corral panels, and calves spent most of their time poking their heads out the sides.

This year I spiffed things up a bit. I built solid 3/8 plywood alley panels that hook over corral panel lower pipes. Tarp straps keep them in place. Built an anti-backup board (the 1/2" white plywood with advertising on it) that hangs on chains in the chute--it can be blocked to the side, then dropped down after a calf passes. It worked surprisingly well.

I used snap links like the detail in picture 6 to hook everything together. (The log chain wrapped around one end of a corral panel was replaced with light chain & a snap link.)

Best part is the whole thing, including the calf table, all fits at once on the dual bale spears of my loader: the corral panels, alley panels, backing board, and calf table. (The hand holes in the panels & backing board line up with the bale spears.)

EDIT: The rope down the side of the corral panel trips the drop gate at the back of the calf table.

Edited by Mark in NEMO 5/27/2015 13:13

(1.jpg)

(2.jpg)

(3.jpg)

(4.jpg)

(5.jpg)

(6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.jpg (142KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments 2.jpg (142KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments 3.jpg (114KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments 4.jpg (141KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments 5.jpg (137KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments 6.jpg (117KB - 150 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)