AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diameter character
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> FAQ & SupportMessage format

Chimel
Posted 5/25/2015 03:16 (#4589417 - in reply to #4586639)
Subject: RE: Diameter character

Apparently it's a font rendering issue in Windows, the Unicode character for diameter simply does not exist, so it's nothing NAT can solve on its own. I also use the Scandinavian vowel Ø (ALT+157 or ALT+0216) or its lowercase variant ø (ALT+155 or ALT+0248), which were the only available characters in extended ASCII before we had Unicode. Funny thing is that the empty set Unicode symbol (ALT+2205) works just fine, just not the specific diameter symbol U+2300, which allows machine reading to uniquely identify diameters, not confused with writing in Swedish or something. I would think that the diameter symbol is used infinitely more frequently than the empty set symbol.

But I am no machine and do not "need" this character, Ø or do just fine for my purpose, I was just wondering why it broke NAT. It would be better to handle this kind of error more gracefully rather than losing the whole post. I noticed attachments also break down when there is a standard accentuated letter in the file name. I don't expect a fix either, as NAT support is all volunteer work, so let this thread just provide some explanations for these small bugs.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)