AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Excel question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/19/2015 15:11 (#4580024 - in reply to #4579972)
Subject: RE: Excel question.

Southeast Wyoming

torn - 5/19/2015 13:17
Sasksodbuster - 5/19/2015 07:48 Spread sheet shows all field acres and what is grown on it, wheat, barley, oats, canola and flax. It shows total acres of each crop. I want to change the color of the text on the ones that are seeded, this will tell me how many acres are seeded and how many acres are not seeded.
Two birds with one stone: Insert a new column. This column will hold a "X" in each row to represent seeded fields. Highlight all of the cells that will need to be formatted, then add a conditional formatting like this: =$B1<>"" and apply the desired text formatting (color GREEN, for example). This formula will now change the color of the text in the selected cell range to GREEN, IF the corresponding cell in column B is not empty. i.e. if I selected A1 through A10 as my range to format, and cell B1 is not empty, then the text in cell A1 will be colored green. NOW, in the cell where you want to display the total acres seeded, enter this formula: =SUMIF(B1:B10,"<>",A1:A10) The process described above does 2 things: 1. Instead of highlighting each cell in Column A and then manually formatting the text green, you can simply place an "x" (or anything else) in the corresponding cell in Column B, and the text formatting is automatic. 2. Excel will now automatically sum all of the values in Column A ONLY IF the corresponding cells in Column B are not empty. The Column B cells WILL be empty if the field is not seeded, meaning you get a total of only the seeded acres. You could expand on the formulas above to break out the acres seeded by crop, if you wanted. So you could total your barley, rye, wheat, etc, separately. And grand total if you want.

I have never worked with those capabilities of Excel.  So, instead of an "X" column could he use a planting date column to function the same?  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)