AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Web site counter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/5/2015 23:26 (#4553995 - in reply to #4552984)
Subject: RE: Web site counter

Southeast Wyoming

Chris - 5/5/2015 11:13

I'd like to put a counter on a web site.  The problem is, it's not my site and I don't want to chance connecting them with some group or organization that will spam them or collect information from their site.

But I would like to know if anybody is actually using their site, that is, is it worth having me keep it running.  I think few people access their site but even if it's only 20 or so each month then it would be worth it to them to keep it running.

Every free counter seems to be taking the count back to the free counter web site.  

Have you asked the website host for that information?  They surely have a log which provides them with the information.  They may want to sell the info to you, or send you to something such as you asked about, especially if you want a running count, but just a general inquiry occasionally should be a polite thing for them to do.

Do not be confused by the number of "hits".  A hit is often each individual part of a web page which is loaded with each page view.  If you have 15 images (photos, buttons, click boxes & etc) on a web page, that may account for 15 hits as each item is loaded.  I have not looked into that for a number of years so there may be more meaningful counters out there. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)