AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody from Iceland on here?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 4/26/2015 04:42 (#4538222 - in reply to #4537751)
Subject: RE: Anybody from Iceland on here?

NS Canada
I have family there, and I was just there last summer. My family are city folk though, so they won't know much about the farms.

As for seeing farms if you fly into reykjavik you're in luck, within an hour or 2 is where I saw most of them. Hardly ever saw a cow outside though. They have quite a few dairies, but all I ever saw was them out making baleage, and then just horses or sheep in the pastures. The center of Iceland isn't used due to its landscape (mountains and volcanoes) - most everyone lives in the city, and then the rest are spread out around the coastline. Farms will stretch from the ocean inland for a mile 2 at times, and then its mountains on the interior.

A lot of rugged landscape you will see fenced, but poor growing and you only see a couple sheep every mile or 2.

I was surprised with the amount of farms I did see in that area, and they seemed to have nice enough equipment and the bales were pretty thick in the fields behind the balers. There should also be a lot of green houses somewhere since they have so much geothermal, but I didnt seek those out.

Friendly people though, so I'm sure most farms would be welcoming if you just drove in and introduced yourself. Many people can speak english, but a lot of the old folks cannot, people in their 50s and 60s were ok, and then the younger they were the better they were at it.

oh and get the hotdogs at the gas stations. They don't really have fast food places over there, so those hotdogs are a big thing and were pretty great.

I'll talk to a cousin later today and get some more info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)