AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Freeze event on the way for HRW Wht?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 4/20/2015 08:54 (#4526893 - in reply to #4524763)
Subject: update..

On the Mesonet.. http://mesonet.k-state.edu/  We got down to around 33 to 34 here.. at 3' tall most temperature readings will read a little higher than ground temp..

KSU says.. http://www.ksre.k-state.edu/bookstore/pubs/C646.PDF  We'd need temperatures down to 30 to hurt headed wheat.. which I can not rule that out.. I saw a 29 reading out in Gray County on the Mesonet but they probably are not as far along as we are.. 28'ish could do damage to wheat in the boot.. so.. that's pretty close.. 30's around Haviland.. out to Dodge and Garden.. so pretty close...???

I ran into a seed dealer over the weekend who had some of the Company Breeders out last week.. We discussed Varities.. and they agreed that "X" was having a rough year.. (I don't want to pile on until the rep's weigh in..) but some of these race horse early semi dwarfs were suffering from a lot of Crown root damage.. and that is what is responsible for the thin stands and shorter wheats...  I planted mostly a blend of one tough variety and 2 yielders.. Armour, Everest and Cedar.. and the one is just really taking it on the chin..4" tall and headed out.. see above.. so.. we're seeing a lot of brown patches out in the wheat.. from drought/freeze stress.. lots of uneven fields.. some fields that are REALLY short and Thin.. and then down the road.. some that looks okay.. so I believe we're seeing a lot of varietal differences... and overall a tougher year that last.. "here."

My Seed DSM said they got an inch.. maybe 1.50" out of the whole she bang.. and out at Hugoton they only got like 0.15" so "not much left" out there..  I told him I could share.. lol...

so always something... 

Oh one last thing.. for the guys who got hailed out.. Hutch was bidding $4.90 per bushel for Sorghum last Friday vs $4.99 for Wheat.. so If you want to file a claim.. and destroy.. and chase a ghost crop.. we got a decent supply of sorghum seed on hand.  fwiw..  The adjusters will be BUSY again this week from the looks of things.. Hail pic's from Goodland.. covered the ground.. Hays.. Inman.. here.. etc..  they say hailed acres don't add up.. but golly.. it left a mark no doubt.. nothing but steams left down the road here a ways..

later.. 

Edited by JonSCKs 4/20/2015 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)