AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

calf with splayed legs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 4/1/2015 05:37 (#4489653 - in reply to #4489037)
Subject: RE: calf with splayed legs

south east Indiana
Most of the time with larger calves not being able to stand can be a tendon or ligament issue, especially if the calf was pulled. Occasionally it can be a pinched nerve or something like that. I would say we all think I am not sure what is wrong so one of these injections will surely help and we give an animal x,y, z. Problem is we do this without considering what else x, y, z does or do not take the time to find out.

Antibiotics will kill not only the bad bugs but the good ones also, in a ruminant that is not a good thing since you are killing what they need to process their food so you weigh that in your choice. Dex is a steroid that will suppress its immune system and is anti inflammatory so you weigh the good and bad there also. I would have chosen Banamine since it is non steroidal and will not suppress the immune system if I was giving something. The bose is more a supplement so most likely fine but with all drugs it is always best to have a conversation with your vet. You do not have to have the conversation in the midst of calving for you to get a grasp of what to use when. When the opportunity arises to have a vet out or take something in I use that as a time to gain as much knowledge as possible.

I would make sure the calf stays warm and dry and get him up multiple days a day. Make sure he is sucking and if not getting up on his own in a day I would make a sling for him so I can help him stand with some support and some weight on his legs a few times a day for 10 to 15 min.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)