AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Warren Buffett, Rail, and Oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Ranchhand
Posted 3/29/2015 21:23 (#4485440)
Subject: Warren Buffett, Rail, and Oil

West KY, Miss River County

If you feel that BNSF operations affect your livelihood, You might want to read the entire article. See link at bottom.

'On page four of the annual letter, Buffett wrote:

BNSF is, by far, Berkshire’s most important non-insurance subsidiary and, to improve its performance, we will spend $6 billion on plant and equipment in 2015. That sum is nearly 50% more than any other railroad has spent in a single year and is a truly extraordinary amount, whether compared to revenues, earnings or depreciation charges.

I’ll admit it: when I read his statement, in my mind I heard Johnny’s deep voice singing the words:

I hear the train a comin’
It’s rolling round the bend

That’s a lot of money Buffett is putting up to upgrade BNSF.

Guess whom Warren Buffett is referring to when he stated nearly 50% more than any other railroad has spent in a single year” in the above quote?

If you said, “Himself,” you got it.

BNSF spent $4 billion last year. So by next year, he would have invested over $10 billion into upgrading his rail lines. '

Now regardless how you think the action of this man and his railroad will influence your livelihood you can read his plans laid out fairly openly in his annual report. You might decide to get rid of some of that stored grain and buy into his world.  After all, he does have a fairly good track record.

Entire article, not the BNSF report. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)