AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another UTV help question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nw_bearcat
Posted 3/5/2015 00:29 (#4432088)
Subject: Another UTV help question

Top middle of MO. land of green hills and grass
After I left my 4 wheeler for him to borrow, but then replied it when I bought a bigger place, my FIL bought his first 4 wheeler...a Polaris like I had. Got along OK, and learned its a super handy tool to have around. Ran it until it was pretty rough, needed some oil leaks fixed, and several u joints done. Sold that and bought a used Polaris Ranger. Has put 500 hours on it over the last 15-16 months, and is not sure what he'd do without it. It's at the point now where it has some electrical gremlins..,speedo and fuel gauge don't work, it has a cv joint or 2 with some slack, and needs tires. Since it's now getting up around 1k hours I suggested looking to upgrade rather than wrench on this one more.

At this point, he's not sure he's had the best of luck with Polaris, or maybe expectations are just off. Dad and I both run them and get along great. For a replacement machine is there some thing else I might suggest he look at that might hold together a bit better? Is a Deere any better? I don't see him going the Kubota route, long way to a dealer for him, and he likes the ride and speed of a ranger. He's not a super mechanically minded guy, but I try to fix things I see every time I go to his place.

Right now the Polaris is getting compared to my brother inlaw's 2x4 gator...one of the old ones with the solid rear axle and a Kawasaki AC engine...it's simple, rides like a wagon, doesn't go very fast, will get stuck on a sloppy cow pile and might need a push to climb a hill, but you can't seem to kill it, so they are looking for something that requires that level of maintenance, but will run with a Ranger, rides like a Ranger and has 4wd...is that possible?

Edited by nw_bearcat 3/5/2015 00:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)