AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Root Demand Irrigation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 3/1/2015 14:17 (#4423016 - in reply to #4422336)
Subject: RE: Root Demand Irrigation (Pics)

EC Nebraska
ndebt - 3/1/2015 09:11

Baier91 I hope this helps. We are using surface water on this project. We have 5 gpm per acre. Which would be a 10 acre plot with 50gpm. The installer from root demand made the statement that we would probably use less water, possibly around 3gpm per acre but they recommend 5gpm per acre. With pivots they always want 7gpm per acre minimum around here, and on a small pivot would still require about 250 gpm to operate. In my area we can get 50 gpm easy out of a 4" well.

Every area is different. The SDI installations here are usually around 4 gpm/acre or less, while most pivots are set up at 6 gpm/acre. I added a pivot to an existing well that will take me down to 4 gpm/acre under the pivots. It might be a little tricky to manage some years, but it should be fine most years here.

FOr Baier91: I wouldn't be afraid to set up 15 acres of SDI on a 50 gpm well. You might have to start the system early and just let it run to keep up, but it would still be a whole lot better than no irrigation at all. Maybe drop the corn population down a little from what you would plant under full irrigation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)