AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grandfathers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

TheGerminator
Posted 2/16/2015 09:29 (#4389621)
Subject: Grandfathers

Central Texas
I often think how my grandfather played such a huge roll in my life. I am a 46 year old 4th generation farmer on the same farm my poppa farmed. It's only 160 acres but he and my father farmed it all their lives. My brother and I now farm it but my dad owns it. We also farm additional 3000 acres . Even though the technology and equipment is so far advanced I still ask myself what or how would poppa have done it. I can still see that tall slender man on that farmall C . Heck that was the first tractor I ever drove . His largest tractor was a international 766 and he loved that tractor as much as his polka music or his two a day falstaff beers one before dinner and one before supper. There is No such word as lunch on the farm it's dinner or supper and still is in my home of 6 . I have triplets and they are all different. One son loves music plays trombone in his high school band and self taught himself the accordion. Just as my grandfather was the choir director in our Lutheran church and loved music . Other son loves farming and can stay on a tractor all day if you let him. Just two days ago he and I broke our record of most acres covered in a day. We were plowing in fertilizer for our 2015 crop and covered 520 acres that day and I won't do that again. Trying to keep up with a 17 year old young man plowing till 1 in the morning was tuff. In every seen of my life I can see my grandfather in those two boys. The other triplet is a wonderful daughter. As they are seniors in high school now I tried to teach them the values in life and the old ways. Heck we still grind and stuff our own pork and hang in the smoke house. I often think will my grandchildren think of me the way I thought of my poppa. I have some huge shoes to fill if that's the case I look forward to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)