AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Farm Program Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/29/2015 09:23 (#4346829 - in reply to #4346778)
Subject: RE: Another Farm Program Question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
jonas grumby - 1/29/2015 07:56

I have not made my appointment but just wondering before I make the call.

Do I need/have to take landlords in with me when I go into FSA office. Landlords need to sign papers so do they go in with me to get everything done?

Step 1 needs to involve the landlord. This is the step where the landlord agrees to keep the current base acres and yields or update them if this seems beneficial. The landlord needs to sign this form but in my case did not need to be present at the FSA office. I went in and worked with the folks there to update the yields and base reallocation on the FSA farm that I rent from my older brother. I hand carried that form to him and had him sign it. I returned the form to the office. This did not require a Notary and they just accepted his signature.

I also run another FSA farm. This farm consists of land that I own and a small tract that another brother owns. I went through the reallocation process on that farm as well. Since I was one of the owners, I could sign for the Reallocation and that brother did not need to sign anything.

It is very important that the landlord either accepts the current numbers or goes through the reallocation process. If they do nothing, then the acres and yields remain unchanged, the Program choice defaults to PLC AND no farm program payment is available for the 2014 operator which might be you. Step 1 needs to be done before the end of February.

Step 2 the Program choice Election, this involves the operator and not the landlord. The operator generally has the choice of either PLC, ARC-CO or ARC-IN. This election is made by the 2015 operator. This election is in effect for the entire farm program duration including 2014. That's quite simple if the 2014 & 2015 operator are the same. In my case in the first FSA farm, I mention above, I operated it in 2014 but my nephew will be operating it in 2015. My nephew will make the program choice. That choice will used to calculate any 2014 payments that I might obtain.

The choice on my other FSA farm is more complicated. I operated it in 2014 but for 2015 it will be split and I will run the land that I own, but a new non-family operator will be running the small tract owned by my other brother. I am told that I and the new operator on the small tract must agree on the program choice. I don't see this as a real problem but it does seem a bit unfair as I ran it all in 2014 and will be running most of it in 2015.

If we simply can't or won't agree, then the program defaults to PLC and no payment is made for any of the land for 2014. So for me to get any payment on this land (I own most of it) for 2014, we must both agree. The PLC program choice would then also pertain to me and the new operator for me and the new operator for 2015 and beyond.

Step 2 needs to be done before the end of March. We were encouraged to make the election early before the end of March to avoid long lines at that time. If an operator makes the election early, they still have the option of changing their choice before the end of March.

Step 3 is the actual signup and the dates have not yet been set.

Edited by tedbear 1/29/2015 09:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)